Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oldies but Goodies pt. 4..."Come back race! (OKC 2008)

Here is the blog about my first "long" run after my illness in the summer of 2007. Let me just say I would NOT have done this race if weren't for my good friend Nicole. She was "inspired" by me running marathons and decided to train for her first half marathon. After completing that she wanted to do another. Nicole encouraged me to get back out and run. I was nervous to at first because I had gotten "out of the game" and she just kept encouraging me. She, in return, inspired me.
You are never "out of the game." There are times when you will be dry or feel worn out and weary. Keep moving on! One of my favorite quotes is by Dean Karnazes, "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up."
I think this is for life in general...there is a reward when you don't give up.





"Sunday, April 27, 2008
Come back race! (OKC 2008)
This past year has been the most challenging time of my life.

As most of you know I have Lupus. It is an autoimmune disease that attacks healthy tissue, usually major organs. It attacks my kidneys.

A year ago I ran the Oklahoma City marathon and couple of days later began swelling. I gained 30 lbs of water weight on my body over 1 month period of time. I thought it was from running but my doctor said it was a Lupus "flare up". Since I had a flare up I could not run. That was very hard for me but I learned that running did not define me. I pressed in on the Lord and kept the faith. I was put on all kinds of medication and homebound for 2 months. I could not work, walk, or play with my daughter.

People would come to my house to bring us meals, spend time with us, and mainly pray for us. I really grabbed a hold of what it means to have brothers and sisters in Christ.

During this illness my daughter, who has Cystic Fibrosis (lung and digestive disease), became ill and had to have an i.v. in her arm for 2 weeks to help fight a bacteria in her lung. We had to do antibiotics through the i.v. and it went away (thank the Lord).

My husband was wonderful. He was patient, caring, and loving. He took care of us so well and we experienced the meaning of through "sickness and in health".

I got permission from my doctor to start running last September after all the weight fell off. I was scared to. I prayed for God to show me the right time to run.

Patience paid off and I began running again in February. I entered a couple of small races and placed second in one. I decided to train for the OKC half marathon (13.1 miles). I wasn't sure how I could do it but I remembered it is never my own strength anyway.

Today I completed the half marathon. I got up at 4:30a.m., it was low 50's, and 15 mile winds. My husband and daughter bundled up to support me. I was ready to go.

About 8 miles in I noticed 2 girls with a scripture on the back of their running shirts, it read "With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26. That was a reminder to me of what is true.

I finished (thanking God) in 2 hours and 7 minutes. When normally my time would be 10 minute miles, I ran 9:31 minute miles. Only strength from my Lord can help me, I am weak.

If there is something that I learned is to have faith. You may hear it all the time but really that is all we have. When it all seems to be "taken away", faith is all that remains. I am not sure where my health is going to go but I do know my heart is in Jesus hands."

No comments: