Monday, August 30, 2010

Basic Training

This past weekend I got the privilage of reuniting with a good friend of mine. The reunion was more than just a "I haven't seen you in a long time..." It was a testimony of what God can do through you if you let HIM.

I have known Alisha for about 3 years now. We began working together, in the same classroom, in May 2009. We immediately had a connection. We communicated through "The Office" quotes and observing children. I told her I wanted to be a "Super Nanny" for military families and she was going to school to be a psychologist. At that time I had been going through a lot of things. She was one person who knew and gave GRACE.

After I began suffering with anxiety and depression, Alisha was the most encouraging and uplifting person I could turn to. Crying with me, hugging me, and helping me through the most difficult times I had gone through. Her skills and knowledge in psychology had helped me more than she realized.

It was August 2009 when she began talking about joining the military. At first I thought it was just talk but the more she sought God on what she was supposed to do, the more confident she became in her purpose. Have you ever met someone that was so confident in what God wanted them to do that nothing else mattered? I admire that.


We said "good-bye" on June 25th, 2010. She entered basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX. A piece of me felt sad and happy at the same time. Sad because I would miss the talks we had and the bond we had built but happy because she was going after something God put on her heart.


I began writing letters. One letter a week would have me writing 8 letters. I mean that is the least you could do for someone giving their all to fight for your freedom, right?
Well 8 wks went by fast and my good friend Sarah (I met through Alisha) and I were roadtripping down to San Antonio to see Alisha. Nervousness in my stomach, I felt as if my own child was graduating...and there she was.


Watching flights march together and B.T.I.'s yelling with pride, she had made it. Eight weeks of intense training and once a week communication with family members. No t.v., no radio, not knowing anyone, and basic necessities that we take for granted...gone. One thing did remain though...her God, our God. The strength given to her through purpose, prayer, worship, and love. HE had brought her through the roughest she has ever been through.

Watching her in formation reminded me of something I had heard on a podcast. The pastor was saying that we (Christians) work together to get to the same goal. Same as a baseball team, football team, or any other team. Well, Alisha had joined a new team. They had pressed long and hard for many weeks to get to the point where they were. They had used sweat, tears, and emotion to get through the roughest times and here they are. All cleaned up and showing off their accomplishment.


Well, that's what we have to do. How many of us are using up our "sweat, tears, and emotions" for Christ? How many of us have heard that calling that God has placed on you and go with it full force, no questions asked? I can tell you I haven't. What faith that takes to hear God tell you, only having a year left of college, to join the military...and you say "okay" and go. Oh God, how I desire to have faith like that.

And then I hear God tell me I can. You have to get back to the basics...the "Basic Training" of HIM. Read HIS word, pray, love HIM, and have faith. I know when you press in for that goal, you will be all cleaned up and your reward will be greater.

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."-Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message)

No comments: